To avoid feeling burnt out around the holidays, I really make it a point to keep my mental health at the top of the list of priorities. It’s so easy for me to get consumed with deadlines, school activities, sports, and other household duties. It becomes so easy to forget about me, and what I need to keep up my mental health strong.
Being their mom keeps me motivated to be my best self, physically and mentally. I think it’s so important to take notice when I am in need of a break. These little breaks come in so many different forms but these are my favorite:
- Enjoying family time. Ditching my phone and enjoying movies and cuddles with my kids is something I really enjoy (but only when they are in calm mood ha!)
- Attend a class for yourself. If I need a mental break from my kids, I attend a work out class and I find it so motivating to keep my energy up and mind focused. It’s a great way for me to relieve some stress.
- Self-care. I know we have all heard it but a really nice long relaxing bath really goes a long way. Things, like reading a book or even catching up on a show without interruptions, can really help me decompress.
- Slowing down. Another thing that helps me avoid feelings of stress, is writing a list of goals for the day and not putting too much on my plate that day if I am already feeling overwhelmed
- Plan a getaway. This past November was a mentally hard month for me. We lost two pets that month and work was insane all the while trying to prepare for the holidays. It was nice to just get away with my family and escape the stress at home. You will come back refreshed and ready to take on everything you have waiting for you at home.
Let’s take time for ourselves this holiday season and focus on our mental health. It’s so easy for me to get distracted by everything going on around me and lose focus on what I need in order to stay positive and focused. We often forget that our mental health benefits all those around us.
Thanks to Blue Cross Blue Shield AZ for sponsoring this post! Give them a follow on Instagram, @BCBSAZ, to learn more mental health information and tips. Please know all opinions are my own and I only share with you what I truly believe in and love!